Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace.

Saturday 12 April 2014

Burger Buns

Finally, spring has arrived in Fredericton (I think?!?). The warmer weather gets my hopes up for summer nights, hiking, swimming, yard sales, fresh fruits and veggies and last but not least BBQ's! One of my goals for this summer is to discover/make/find a delicious veggie burger and although I am not vegetarian I do enjoy vegetarian meals. Since there is always a lot of bbq's in the summer, it's nice to have another option other than meat. Firstly, I needed to be able to make homemade buns. About a month ago, I attempted to make homemade pretzels made with spelt flour. Jeff loved them, however, I found that they reminded me more of buns or bread rather than a pretzel...and so began my journey to find a delicious homemade burger bun. I searched the internet to find out what others have done to make burger buns while keeping the pretzel recipe in the back of my mind. Today, I made homemade chicken burgers (from the Looneyspoons cookbook) and made some of my own homemade burger buns. They turned out great! I am very excited to make these in the summer and hopefully will be able to freeze some since they are a bit time consuming. 

Burger Buns
Chicken Burgers


Burger Buns (yields 4 big burger buns)
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp warm milk 
  • 1 tsp active dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 tbsp honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 tbsp coconut oil
Combine water, milk, yeast and honey together in a bowl. Let sit until it becomes frothy (about 5 minutes). In a separate bowl, beat the egg. In a food processor equipped with the bread blade (or mixer, or I imagine you can do this by hand also) combine flour, salt and coconut oil. Once combined add the frothy yeast mixture and egg. Mix until dough forms (this took just a couple of minutes for me). The dough should be very sticky. Roll dough into a ball and let rise covered in a warm place for 2 hours. Once the dough has risen, remove from bowl and divide into 4 equal pieces. To each piece, roll into a rounded burger shape. Place on parchment paper and let rise covered for another hour. Pre-heat oven to 375 F which has an oven safe dish with 1/2 cup of water in it to produce steam in order to keep the buns moist. Add the buns to the oven and bake until golden (mine took between 10 - 15 mins). Enjoy!      

Blog Question: What's your favourite summer food?

No comments:

Post a Comment