Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace.

Sunday 9 March 2014

Avocado Cocoa Nib Truffles

Last summer, Jeff (my boyfriend) and I went to Halifax. It was my first time in Halifax and we did as many activities as we could in 2-3 days. One of my favourite activities was going to the Halifax market. If you are ever in Halifax, make sure to check it out! At that market, I purchased a raw chocolate truffle/ball (from Rawthentic Chocolate); at the time I was not sure whether I should purchase it (since it was over $3.00 for one!) BUT I did and was very happy I did. It was absolutely delicious and worth every penny. Since then I have looked up many chocolate truffle/ball recipes AND made a few but still haven't found a perfect recipe. This weekend I tried my own version of a truffle (I am sure there are VERY similar recipes online). 

Avocado Cocoa Nibs

The balls are yummy but still don't compare to the Halifax ones. I actually ended up liking the coconut coated ones better than the plain ones. Next time, I may use ground up cashews OR date paste with cocoa powder. If anyone has any suggestions, please comment below. :)   

Avocado Cocoa Nib Truffles (yields approx. 15)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (hardened)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1.5 small avocado
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup
  • 3 tbsp cocoa nibs or chopped up chocolate chips (optional)
  • unsweetened coconut (optional)
In sauce pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. In a medium bowl, add cocoa powder, avacado, vanilla extract and maple syrup and mix using an electric mixer. When combined, add melted coconut oil and continue mixing. When mixture is combined, fold in cocoa nibs or chocolate chips (or both! :)). Place in fridge for 1 hr. Roll mixture in balls* and then in coconut if desired. Place in fridge for an additional hour (or preferably over night). These should be kept in the fridge until ready to eat. Enjoy!

*Run hands under cold water so the mixture won't melt in your hands.

Blog Question:
What's the most expensive food item you have purchased AND was it worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment